Tuesday 2 March 2010

Longevity

I had a magnetic moment with a book in the local public library, my eyes locked on it and had instance focus - it was called 'The Parkour & Free Running Handbook'.  The first few pages got me in and focussed on the physical body, anatomy and discipline.  I borrowed the book and later was introduced to the concept of longevity in a physically active life.

"The physical aim of parkour is to be as functionally fit, strong and capable for as long as possible in life - to become the best version of yourself that you can - not to explode out of the blocks, have a few years energetic practise and then stop because of injury or overstraining of the body.  Parkour is an art of living, a way of approaching not only your environment, but also your life".

One of the earliest practitioners of parkour, David Belle, can be seen in the video below.



I found this information very valuable - it gave me a sense of calm and an approach to training that will remain strong but incorporate a longer term vision and more defined purpose.  It also influenced my search into foods that assist in longevity and reminded me of an article I read on the New York times website about a 'death defying house' where uneven floors and unconventional design and architecture promote dexterity, strength and attentiveness.


And then there is Bette Calman, the 83 year old lady still teaching and practising yoga!  Go Bette!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment