Wednesday 24 February 2010

"Never Tell Me What You Can't Do!"


"Never tell me what you can't do!"
 - My coach's coach to her during training.

After her 40th, my coach decided to shed the 40lbs she gained after having children, and took up triathlon.  She completed ten marathons, six half and two full Ironman competitions, participated in the World Championships Duathlon and finished third in the National Championships Half Ironman all in the course of six years.

My coach and I were discussing how to act when experiencing an injury which reduces the amount of weight you can lift or exercises you can do.  Her coach's statement encapsulates the attitude one must take:

"Never tell me what you can't do!"

So the practical application of this is that you focus on the exercises you can do, if you can't use your arms, use your legs, if you can't do strength training, do cardio training.  It all needs to be done, and the gains you make in other areas will be a blessing in disguise once you return to your full capabilities and have that extra body awareness, extra technique and skills which you worked on when you had to.  

Take on the champions mentality - what do you do when things try to get you down, you find a way to keep going.  

Shout out to my G.P.A. Warriors 'We Don't Stop!'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment